Worcestershire and Shropshire Area Quaker Meeting January 2024 Area Meeting update and notices
We held our first Area Meeting of 2024 via zoom on Saturday 20 January, and were pleased to welcome Friends from all six of our Local Meetings.
A report on December’s Meeting for Sufferings was circulated for Friends to read before the meeting so that we could make best use of our time together for discussion and reflection. The report included:
- An update on the revision to the Book of Discipline. It is hoped that a final draft will be brought to Yearly Meeting in 2027.
- An agreed change to the wording of Meetings for Worship for the Solemnization of Marriage so that it includes the pronouns they/them.
- Discernment around the option to remove religious language from the wording of Meetings for Worship for the Solemnization of Marriage.
- The proposed changes to the structure of Yearly Meeting to include the replacement of the current four sessions of Meeting for Sufferings with more regular sessions of Yearly Meeting throughout the year.In other items, we agreed to appoint visitors for an applicant for membership, and agreed to make the difficult to decision to terminate the membership of several Friends who are no longer involved in the life of the Society. We also finalised a transfer of membership.
In Nominations news, we appointed our Area Meeting website stewards, as well as new Pastoral Care Friends, an Area Meeting Nominations committee member, and a representative for Junior Yearly Meeting.
Church Stretton Friends have organised an Area Meeting picnic on 29th June. More details will follow closer to the time.
Friends should be aware that we have agreed a local meeting quota of £40 per person per year to help fund Area Meeting work.
We also heard an update on the Worcester Grassroots Alliance and agreed to hold meeting to discern how we might best support it in the future. We will let you know of the details of this meeting once they have been finalised.
- Friends are invited to Leighton Park school’s General Meeting on 8th March 2024.
- Friends are invited to Sidcot School Quaker General Meeting, to be held from 1pmon Friday the 22nd of March 2024.
- Climate Fresk at Shrewsbury Meeting House 10am to 1pm on Saturday 3rd February2024. Your LM clerk has a flyer.
- Coventry Quakers are appealing for funds to renovate their meeting house.
- Woodbrooke and QCCIR conference to be held on 15th – 17th March 2024. Friendscan attend in-person or online.
Next Area Meeting will be held online on Saturday 23 March 2024, 10.30am to 12.30pm. The zoom link will be circulated with the agenda and other papers via the AM mailing list a few days before the meeting. As ever, all members and attenders are warmly invited.
To contact Area Meeting clerks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org