Area Meeting update and notices
Our November Area Meeting, held via zoom on Saturday 18th, was the final AM of 2023, and of the current triennium (Jan 2021-Dec 2023). So in one of the morning’s longer items we continued the process of appointing Friends – over 30 names on this occasion — to new or continuing roles for the next triennium. Thanks were expressed to all those who complete their terms of service at the end of 2023, and to those who will be taking over, enabling our Quaker communities to function smoothly.
The morning’s business also included:
- An update of the ‘day of action’ at Telford on 2 November, opposing the Specialist Defence and Security Conference (or arms fair) taking place at the International Centre. We heard that plans are already in place for a similar event at this venue in 2024, so our witness for peace will also continue.
- A report from October’s Meeting for Sufferings, including news about Quaker developments in Wales and the recent consultation on membership.
- A report from our Assistant Clerk for Membership about our Quaker numbers in Worcestershire and Shropshire, which remain steady.
- A report from the Quaker Life Representative Council, focusing on the abiding values that underpin the roles of Elder and Pastoral Care Friend, and what anchors Friends in our life together.
- A note on our AM’s recent online sessions about ‘How some Area Meetings are getting together’. This gave rise to some interesting questions about how our Quaker communities, and their underpinning charities, are organised.
- Another aspect of re-structuring was noted in plans for changes in how Malvern Local Meeting organises itself, and we hope to hear more about this experiment next year.
Sunday 26 November: ‘Life in the West Bank under the Israeli occupation: First hand witness’, a talk by Ian Cave, recently returned from three months as a Human Rights Monitor, at 12pm, Malvern Quaker Meeting House, followed by a bring and share lunch.
Wednesday 29 November, 7-8pm: a Britain Yearly Meeting online session to receive the annual report and accounts. For further information and to register (by 22 November), see
Saturday 2 December: Area Meeting Quiet Day (postponed from 21 October). The event is hosted by Malvern Friends, at their Meeting House, 11am-3.30pm (with refreshments available from 10.30am). The theme is ‘The Light that is in us all: inspiration from Thomas Merton.’ If you hope to come, please email email@example.com
Next Area Meeting will be held via zoom on Saturday 20 January 2024, 10.30am-12.30pm. The zoom link will be circulated with the agenda and other papers via the AM email list a few days before the meeting.
As ever, all members and attenders are warmly invited to join us for this final Area Meeting of the year.